Well, it's all excitement, anticipation and MAJOR confusion in the book blogosphere right now because everyone is talking about BEA. There have been a couple of posts out there that discuss it and I've found them to be helpful, so I thought I'd write one for you guys about my registration experience in case any of you need help. Kristi from The Story Siren did a post that I found informative that you can read here. Make sure you read the comments, because there was lot of useful info there too.
I have never gone to BEA before, so I don't have all the answers, but I thought I'd walk you through what I did to register.
What is BEA?
BookExpo America is the largest publishing event in North America for Book Sellers, Publishers, Librarians, Teachers, Authors, and Book Bloggers and other industry professionals. BEA is being held Monday, May 23 - Thursday, May 26, 2011 at the Jacob K. Javits Center New York, NY.
Registering as a Book Blogger:
There are a couple of different ways to go about registering for BEA as a book blogger. First, you need to decide whether or not you're going to go to BBC (Book Blogger Convention). Lots of bloggers say that this is a fantastic event where you can meet tons of other bloggers, and learn a lot about running a blog and dealing with publishers/authors etc. BBC is going to be on May 27. The cost is $120 ($135 after May 5) and includes breakfast and lunch, as well as a ticket to the author/blogger cocktail reception and registers you for BEA. If you're not going to BBC, you can either pay for an exhibits pass, or you can register for free and try to be approved as press.
If you're registering for BBC or paying for a pass:
- Click here (or go to bookexpoamerica.com, then click Register, then non-editorial media).
- Choose Register without Customer ID number, then fill out your information, then continue.
- Fill out the rest of your information and click continue.
- Choose non-editorial media, then continue.
- Click Blogger, then continue.
- Choose your pass, or choose BBC which INCLUDES a pass to BEA, then continue on and pay.
If you're NOT going to BBC and want to register for free as press:
- Go to www.bookexpoamerica.com/pressreg.
- Fill out your information, then continue.
- Choose Journalist, then Blogger.
- Fill out your blog information. (This is where I got confused. It asks for "impressions" which if you don't have adds on your site, you won't have. I "live chatted" a person on the site and asked what to put, and he said just to put "Pageviews __/week, __/month" (fill the blanks with your statistics). Click continue.
- The next page will bring you to a page that says Book Blogger Convention $120 with a box to check. If you don't want to go to BBC, do NOT click the box. Just click continue.
- This will bring you to a confirmation page where you check your information, then when you continue it will say thanks for registering, and that they will tell you if you were NOT approved, otherwise bring your confirmation to BEA to get your pass.
- Cross your fingers that you're approved! :)
That's it!! I hope to see you there! And a big thanks to Devon, my "live chat" friend that walked me through my registration! And BEA is on Twitter, so you can follow them here for the latest info, or to ask questions.
Hope this helps!! Please, if there's anything you know that I haven't put here, or if my information is incorrect in any way, leave a comment!
If you have written a BEA post that you think might be helpful to other bloggers, add your link below!