Character This or That:
I decided to answer with three characters, each from a different gang at the school. Benson, the newest student at the school and a member of the Variants; Oakland, the leader of Havoc; and Isaiah, the leader of The Society.
Ice cream with cookies or brownies
- Benson: We hardly ever get that stuff here in the school, so I'll take whatever I can get.
- Oakland: Yeah, who cares? It's not like we're going to get it.
- Isaiah: We do get them when we earn them, which is why The Society gets more than Havoc. Personally, I prefer cookies.
Winter or summer
- Benson: Summer. I like being able to be outside all night, to go where I want when I want.
- Oakland: Winter. We have the groundskeeping contract, and there's less work to do in the winter.
- Isaiah: Winter. The students seem calmer in the winter, and that's always safer.
Wine or cocktails:
- Benson: I'm seventeen, and it's not like you could get anything in this school anyway.
- Oakland: Wine and cocktails are both for girls. Whiskey.
- Isaiah: Alcohol deadens the senses, and is strictly against the rules.
Morning person or late night owl:
- Benson: Night owl, definitely.
- Oakland: Night owl.
- Isaiah: Morning person and night owl. There's a lot of work to be done, and people sleep more than they need to.
Steak and potato or fish and steamed broccoli:
- Benson: Steak.
- Oakland: Steak.
- Isaiah: Fish.
- Benson: He's just saying that to be different from us.
Monopoly or Scrabble:
- Benson: I've got better things to do than play board games.
- Oakland: Monopoly, and I always win.
- Isaiah: Monopoly is all based on luck. I prefer Scrabble.
Snow skiing or water skiing:
- Benson: I've never done either, but water skiing sounds more fun.
- Oakland: Both are rich-kid sports. Screw that.
- Isaiah: I've never done either, but snow skiing seems like it requires more skill, rather than just being towed by a boat. I like to push myself.
Book or movie:
- Benson: Movie, but I love books. I've spent a lot of time alone, and I've read and watched a LOT.
- Oakland: Movie. Books are a waste of time.
- Isaiah: Books.
Frank Sinatra or Eminem:
- Benson: Probably Eminem, if I had to pick one, but I can appreciate both.
- Oakland: Eminem.
- Isaiah: Sinatra.
Mild or hot (spicy):
- Benson: Medium.
- Oakland: As hot as you can give me.
- Isaiah: I like a little spice, within reason.
Romance or comedy:
- Benson: Comedy.
- Isaiah: Comedy.
- Isaiah: Comedy.
Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.
He was wrong.
Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.
Where breaking the rules equals death.
But when Benson stumbles upon the school’s real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape—his only real hope for survival—may be impossible.