Welcome all! Sorry for the delay, but we're ready to get back on track! The following post is for those who have read up to "fifty-two days before" (page 80 hardcover) of Looking For Alaska. This will contain SPOILERS.Since I didn't plan on hosting, I didn't take detailed notes this time around, so I'll keep this brief.
- I hate the name Pudge.
- Miles, The Colonel, Takumi and Alaska go about life, getting to know each other and smoking a LOT. Alaska: "Ya'll smoke to enjoy it. I smoke to die." Foreshadowing? I wonder about this girl. Did her mom die of lung cancer? Whatever is going on with her, I have a feeling she is a deeply troubled person.
- The basketball game. This was hilarious! I wish this was real, and I could be there to witness it. I swear I cracked up laughing during this entire scene. I love the witty, snarky, sarcasm of these guys! The Colonel has been kicked out of 37 straight games. Miles says he wants to be one of those guys that has a streak to maintain. He always seems to want to be one of those guys that (dot, dot, dot)....but he isn't.
- Alaska and Miles hang out more, talking about the future and watching tv. He thinks that they might kiss, but then the moment is gone. He says he doesn't get her. She says, "You never get me. That's the whole point." Again, is this foreshadowing?
- We meet Jake, Alaska's boyfriend, who I thought would be a jerk, but ends up seeming like a nice guy....at least so far.
- The next basketball game. Miles is hit in the head with the basketball, and hits his head on the floor. I was busting up reading this. "I am concussed. The Beast got me. I'm on a triple-and-a-half date." Then he barfs all over Laura. Poor Laura!
- Alaska is pranked, her room is flooded. I thought this was a pretty awesome prank, but I would be so pissed!!!
- We find out that Alaska is the one that ratted out the couple that got expelled. Part of me wants to really not like her, but then I think about what is probably going on in her home. There's some reason she's so reluctant to go home. She's scared when they get busted smoking, because she doesn't want to upset her father. Is he abusive? Is he depressed (again, wondering if her mother died).
- Alaska hangs out with Miles, playing video games in his room and laying her head on his lap. I hate how she leads him on.
- Miles decides, undecides, then redecides to stay at school for Thanksgiving with Alaska. I wish that he wasn't so enraptured by her. I wish he'd get a backbone.
- Miles kind of reminds me of the dorky guy in Nick and Nora (the movie). The guy that's a total dweeb, but still somehow kinda cute and endearing. I want him to get the girl....I just wouldn't want that girl to be me.
- 52 days before. Before, before....before what? The big prank? Something with Alaska? Is she going to die? Getting kicked out? Seems like it's gonna be bad. Not good.
For THURSDAY, let's read up until AFTER, so that we can finally find out what the heck the BEFORE is! Meet back here on Thursday!