Welcome to Stop #6 on the Triple Threat Blog Tour featuring Myra McEntire, Kate Ellison and Jennifer Lynn Barnes! Today we welcome the super cute Kate Ellison, author of Notes from Ghost Town and The Butterfly Clues. Don’t forget to scroll to the bottom of this post for a great giveaway I'm hosting, and for details on the Triple Threat Blog Tour grand prize giveaway!
Olivia, the protagonist of Notes from Ghost Town, was an interesting character to write in that (like most human beings) she's a multilayered young woman, and many of those layers tend to be at odds with each other. This passage below is a favorite “Liv” moment for me as it shows in no uncertain terms just how Liv, in her own way, is dealing with Stern's death and her mother's subsequent imprisonment. Imagine having to go back to high school, to “normal” life, to resume your everyday activities and responsibilities after enduring such sudden loss; who would want to face it? Who, especially at sixteen (or at any age, really) would be ready? She says she likes that in Michigan almost no one knows about her mom and Stern. She likes not having to talk about it all the time, to deal with it, but this also means she has very little actual support at the time she needs it most. Perhaps because of this, at least in part, Liv seeks the most immediate form of respite she can in drinking way too much and hooking up with boys she barely knows. It's, perhaps, a stereotypically “juvenile” response to grief and tragedy, but, certainly, grown adults respond this way, too, sometimes. We all like to try and push away the big truths that face us, but end up dragging them around and around with us until, finally, we're too tired to continue fighting back. Maybe then we deal with them.
Excerpt from Notes from Ghost Town:
The good thing about Michigan was that most people didn’t know about Mom. I told my closer friends--Ty, Ruby, Amanda--but only the bare minimum. I had to admit why I missed two weeks of school, for the funeral, for the grief that came afterward. And when I went a little crazy back at school--oscillating between sudden crying jags, total numbness, and drunken binges that kept me out of school for days--they treated me with gentle indifference. lots of encouragement to eat chocolate and cry in bed watching rom-coms.
They had their own lives to focus on, assignments I couldn’t be bothered to do, classes I was too deep-dark-down to attend. Ruby made an entire oil painting of me over the course of a week that I knew nothing about. I was mostly sleeping.
I’d wake up next to boys I’d passed in the halls before whose names I didn’t know. Sometimes, I didn’t remember how they’d come to wind up in my dorm room in the first place, or what we’d done. How far I’d let them go, though I was pretty sure I hadn’t actually gone all the way. Some crazy part of myself was saving it, though who knows why. I knew the only person I wanted to go all the way with was gone forever.
******Please visit Cari’s Book Blog http://cariblogs.blogspot.com/
tomorrow for the next stop on The Triple Threat Blog Tour********
Olivia Tithe was excited for the summer and spending it with her best friend, Stern. But that was ruined when he was murdered...by Olivia's mother. Flashing forward, Olivia's life has been transformed since that awful night.
After her mother's incarceration, Olivia must move on, but she hates her father's new fiancée, Heather, and with her dad's new real estate development (she calls it Ghost Town) in the works, she barely sees him. But a new boy, Austin, has kindled feelings inside her that she hasn't felt since Stern's death.
Arriving at the same time as this new guy is a mysterious note that brings Stern's murder back to the forefront; Olivia knows that she must discover the truth behind her friend's death once and for all.
Seventeen-year-old Penelope "Lo" Marin has always collected beautiful things. Since her brother's untimely death, her collection has become an obsession. When she finds an antique butterfly necklace that belonged to a murdered girl at a flea market, she impulsively steals it and becomes fixated. As Lo delves deeper into the life of this girl she feels an otherworldly connection to, she finds herself in the middle of a violent underworld of crime, drugs and sex. But the more questions she asks, the more danger she is in. Can Lo uncover the killer's identity, or will she become the next victim?http://kateellison.com/index.html
* The Triple Threat Blog Tour is also offering a COVER REVEAL GRAND PRIZE GIVEAWAY. The cover reveal is of Myra McEntire's last book in the Hourglass Trilogy due out this July – Infinityglass. To celebrate the Big Reveal, each stop on the blog tour will have a “piece” of the cover. By stopping by each blog on the tour, you can collect all the pieces and submit the final image by 10pm on 2/12 to qualify to win the Triple Threat Cover Reveal Grand Prize – a library of works from Jennifer, Kate and Myra.
- There are a total of 15 pieces to the puzzle - one for each stop on the tour.
- Collect all 15 pieces to reveal the cover of Infinityglass by Myra McEntire (pubbing in July)
- Submit the assembled cover via the following link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGVKdUlOZWllUFZBRFhUeFdhQlFpOGc6MQ by no later than 2/12 at 10pm ET. You will be entered to win the 6 book Grand Prize Giveaway of: Jennifer Lynn Barnes' Nobody and Every Other Day, Kate Ellison's Butterfly Clues and Notes from Ghost Town and Myra McEntire's Hourglass and Timepiece.
- The puzzle can either be assembled electronically or a picture of the assembled printed pieces is also acceptable
- The winner and completed cover will be posted on Myra McEntire's blog www.myramcentire.com on 2/13.
OUR PUZZLE PIECE IS COMPLETE AWESOME!!!
Find NOBODY by Jennifer Lynn Barnes:
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/notes-from-ghost-town-kate-ellison/1110504399
Tuesday, January 22nd – Read for Your Future http://www.
· Wednesday, January 23rd – I Am a Reader, Not a Writer http://www.iamareader.
· Thursday, January 24th – Pageturners http://www.
· Friday, January 25th – Read, Breathe Relax http://www.
· Monday, January 28th – Evie Bookish http://evie-bookish.
· Tuesday, January 29th – Reading Teen http://www.readingteen.
· Wednesday, January 30th – Cari’s Book Blog http://cariblogs.
· Thursday, January 31st – YA Books Central http://www.
· Friday, February 1st – Once Upon a Twilight http://www.
· Monday, February 4th – Bookhounds http://
· Tuesday, February 5th – Luxury Reading http://luxuryreading.
· Wednesday, February 6th – Good Choice Reading http://www.
· Thursday, February 7th – I Read Banned Books http://www.jenbigheart.
· Friday, February 8th – All Things Urban Fantasy http://AllThingsUF.com
· Monday, February 11th - Supernatural Snark http://
· Tuesday, February 12th – 8-10 pm ET LIVE book chat on Mundie Moms http://mundiemoms.
a Rafflecopter giveaway