This post was inspired by this comment on yesterday's post:
And then this post.
However, it did get me thinking about what books I won't "do."
I came to the conclusion that I don't have any.
Well...except maybe this:
I'll give you a moment.
Ok, to be totally honest, I don't read any kind of erotica, so I guess that's a type. Oh, also non-fiction. Wait, this list is getting longer. So by "literally" (in the title), I meant not literally, but close.
But seriously, I'll read just about anything. Here's my one criteria. Are you ready? It's profound. The writing has to be good. That's it! My bookshelf is seriously lined with every type of book out there. I actually organize it according to genre, because I have so many of each type. And I have favorites in each category! Here they are, if you're interested, if not, just fast forward...
- Rom Com/Chick Lit: Anna and the French Kiss
- Contemp: The Fault in Our Stars
- Historical Fiction: Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen
- Historical Fantasy: Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin)
- Steampunk: The Infernal Devices (close second: Leviathan)
- Sci-Fi: Gone by Michael Grant. (Just read Salvage by Alexandra Duncan and it was AWESOME)
- Lighter Sci-Fi: Pivot Point by Kasie West
- Time Travel: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
- Aliens: The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancy, The Host by Stephenie Meyer
- Dystopia: (SO MANY) The Hunger Games (minus Mockingjay, because yeah)
- Dystopian Fantasy: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
- Dystopian/Vampires: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black, or The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, or Crusade by Nancy Holder....can't choose.
- Retelling: For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
- Fantasy: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkowski
- High Fantasy: The Seven Realms by Cinda Williams Chima (and Graceling, and The Burning Sky, and Girl of Fire and Thorns, and Shadow and Bone....yeah, I really love HF)
- Mystery: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
- Horror: I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
- Vampires: Twilight. Yeah. I said it.
- Werewolves: Nightshade
- Faeries: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
- Angels: The Mortal Instruments (also Unearthly, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
- Dragons: Firelight by Sophie Jordan and...YES THERE ARE TWO....The Sweetest Dark by Shana Abe
- Mythology: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
- Witches: (NOT EVEN GOING TO MENTION HARRY POTTER, BECAUSE DUH) Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood.
- Ghosts: The Archived by Victoria Schwab and The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting.
- Zombies: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
- Mermaids: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Did I miss anything? If I did, just tell me, and I've probably read a book I liked in that category. My point is, that I just love a good story. I don't really care what the particulars are, or how unbelievable they might be. There are things I prefer (FANTASY), and things I'm more hesitant about (mermaids & sad books), but I've loved many books in every category.
So, what about you? Are there any books that you are an automatic "Errr....no"?
GO FORTH AND READ!
*P.S. I think this goes without saying, but just in case, Hannah and I are good friends and I love her and her very strange ways.