Google+ Reading Teen: The Fault in Our Stars: Movie Review

Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars: Movie Review

The Fault in Our Stars
Opens Friday
June 6, 2014
PG-13 , 2 hr 6 min
Synopsis: Hazel and Gus are two extraordinary teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them – and us – on an unforgettable journey.
You will be happy to know, that I didn't cry.  I held it together.  Barely.  I had to employ some of my serious no-cry techniques (breathing deeply, tilting my chin up) but the tears did not actually fall out of my eyes.  This is good because you know how I think crying is stupid!  It was hard, though.  Really hard.

This movie was everything I could have hoped for, really.  Gus and Hazel were brought to life on screen, and it was almost surreal!  Yes, I hate that word too, but I can't think of another to explain what it was like to have two characters I felt so close to in my own head, become real in front of my eyes.


Normally I don't like that I've read the book before seeing the movie, because the movie just never holds up.  But this time I thought it actually helped.  It just made me more connected to Gus, Hazel, Isaac, and everyone.  Knowing what happens in the story made me even more emotional about their love story.  It was weird because I came the closest to crying, not during the sad parts, but during the happy parts.  When they're at dinner together, and Gus says those words.  When they're finally together, and it's so awkward and sweet and so intensely felt.  It was just incredible. 

There were a couple of things that I missed, but none of them really stood out.  I missed "Being a professor in the Department of Slightly Crooked Smiles.."  If that was in there, I must've missed it.  Also, there wasn't quite as much witty banter between them, but it did still exist.  I took my 19-yr-old daughter and her friends with me, and they said they felt that Gus seemed much younger than 18.  He was supposed to be almost too mature, but he seemed about 16, they said.  I found him adorable, and completely charming in an infuriating way.  haha.

I think Ansel and Shailene did an amazing job.  I was hesitant when I first heard they were going to play the roles, but they pulled them off beautifully.  All the cast was really perfect, in my opinion (though Hazel's parents were a tad awkward at times).

The thing I loved most about this movie, though, and the thing I try to explain when people say they don't want to watch/read a sad story, is that it is more happy, funny and hopeful than sad.  I swear I had a smile plastered to my face for 92% of the film.  Admittedly the other 8% I was in danger of ugly crying (like some poor woman behind me!)  But the majority of the movie is just so encouraging and just plain witty!

I hope that you will go see this movie.  I hope you will see it multiple times.  Even though I got an advanced screening, I plan on going out and paying for the ticket, just to support it....and okay, because I want to see it again and again!

So, go!  Buy The Night Before Our Stars tickets now! Or just get regular The Fault In Our Stars tickets.  Whatever you do, you must see this movie.



  1. I'm totally prepared to ugly cry tonight... I've got my tissues packed and everything!

  2. It hasn't come out in my country yet, but I will definitely see it when it does. I have read the book, and yes I am a fan of Shailene Woodley... so I am looking forwards to seeing her in the role. But I don't like Ansel much as an actor >.> And I am just hoping that alone doesn't ruin the whole movie for me :'( We will see! I don't cry easily at things, so I hope for this film I can remain eyes dry...


Leave us a comment. Commenting people are our favorites! And we like to give things to favorites :)