By Laurie Elizabeth Flynn
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (January 5, 2016)
Seventeen-year-old Mercedes Ayres has an open-door policy when it comes to her bedroom, but only if the guy fulfills a specific criteria: he has to be a virgin. Mercedes lets the boys get their awkward, fumbling first times over with, and all she asks in return is that they give their girlfriends the perfect first time- the kind Mercedes never had herself.
Keeping what goes on in her bedroom a secret has been easy- so far. Her absentee mother isn’t home nearly enough to know about Mercedes’ extracurricular activities, and her uber-religious best friend, Angela, won’t even say the word “sex” until she gets married. But Mercedes doesn’t bank on Angela’s boyfriend finding out about her services and wanting a turn- or on Zach, who likes her for who she is instead of what she can do in bed.
When Mercedes’ perfect system falls apart, she has to find a way to salvage her reputation and figure out where her heart really belongs in the process. Funny, smart, and true-to-life, FIRSTS is a one-of-a-kind young adult novel about growing up.
1. The wholly unique plot. How many times can you say you've read a book about a teenage girl who teaches virgin boys how to have sex before they deflower their virgin girlfriend, so it will be 'perfect'? I can't say that I have ever read anything like Firsts before. The whole reason I even went and bought this book was because of the plot. It's insane and probably highly unlikely to ever happen, but I wanted to know what would happen if. I couldn't put it down.
2. You can't make yourself look away from the oncoming train wreck. Like you know when you start reading Firsts that some crazy shit is going to go down, especially from just reading the synopsis. I knew that it was all going to blow up in Mercede's face eventually, and I literally sat through an entire night, reading this book just so I could get to that part.
3. There's some schmexy times that will make you fan yourself. I'm still fanning myself thinking about some of the things that Mercedes' did with some of her conquests. I'm not even sure how this book was published as a YA, because of some of the hotness that goes down.
4. The ultimate book boyfriend. Going into Firsts, I was definitely not expecting to fall for a certain boy. I was just looking for the drama and stuff, but was pleasantly surprised by the one guy that actually sincerely cares about Mercedes. I LOVE ZACH. HE LOVES HER FOR WHO SHE IS AND HE'S JUST SO...........PERFECT.
5. The message. No, this book isn't all about boys and sex and drama. It actually has a very important message behind it. One that I think every girl eventually needs to learn. Of course, it might not be appropriate for the younger crowd, but I think high school girls should definitely be reading this book simply because of the message.
6. A main character, who you want to hate at some points, but ultimately have sympathy for and want to prevail. I rooted for Mercedes throughout this entire book. Even though sometimes
Basically if you ask me, YES YES YES. You should read Firsts. ASAP.
But if you can't go into it without an open mind, I would pass.
Still not sure if it's for you? Check out this excerpt!
Have you read Firsts? What did you think? Are you considering reading it? What do you think about the synopsis? Let's discuss!