Meet the Newbies is an awesome feature created by one of our frequent guest reviewers, Rachel, at A Perfection Called Books. Today we are featuring Jennifer Bardsley and her debut Young Adult novel, GENESIS GIRL. Check out our interview with her below!
Author Most Likely to Be Taking Pictures of Books for Instagram
First Day of School: June 14, 2016
Grade: YA Speculative Fiction
Extracurricular Activities: Writing a newspaper column for The Everett Herald
Favorite Class: Psychology
Favorite Quote: "Book-bummed: When you weep about fake dead people."
Describe your book in 5 words
- No digital footprint creates $value$
If you were an item on a Mexican Restaurant menu, what would you be and why?
- Gluten free taco salad because I aim to offer something edible to everyone.
The idea for this story seems pretty different from anything I've read before. How did you come up with it?
- Prepare to be grossed out! In the 1700s there were famous opera stars called "castrati." When these singers were young boys, their parents had them castrated in the hopes they would become operatic celebrities who could hit the highest notes. The young boys were shipped off to a special school where they were trained in music. A select few did graduate and become rich and famous. The rest of them were left maimed for life, or else died on the operating table during the initial surgery. These days, life without the Internet would be so impossible, so crazy, that it would almost be like a very important part of your body was removed. In "Genesis Girl" Blanca and her Vestal brethren have their digital footprints cut off, and then they get sent to Tabula Rasa School in the hopes that they will graduate and become famous for being digitally blank.
Is there a message you hope readers will get from this book?
- I don't really care for books with "messages" because that seems so boring. My hope is that readers enjoy all the twists and turns of "Genesis Girl," but that it is clever enough to make them think. If they do finish the book with a take-away message, it would be that it's important to take charge of your own destiny, digital or otherwise.
If someone asked you why they should read "Genesis Girl", what would you say?
- It's a Sci-Fi thriller unlike any book they have read before. In fact, it's incredibly difficult to come up with comparison title along the lines of "If you liked "Book X," then you'd like "Genesis Girl."
And now, for the quick-fire questions:
• Best book you've read this year: "The Serpent King" by Jeff Zentner
• Favorite food: Chocolate
• Favorite dessert: Chocolate with Chocolate
• Favorite vacation spot: Victoria, Canada
• Best movie you've seen this year: "Star Wars, The Force Awakens"
My book, GENESIS GIRL, comes out June 14th. In the meantime you can find me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, or my blog The YA Gal.
by Jennifer Bardsley
Age Range: 12 and up
Grade Level: 7 and up
Series: Blank Slate
Hardcover: 280 pages
Publisher: Month9Books, LLC (January 24, 2017)
Goodreads | Amazon
Eighteen-year-old Blanca has lived a sheltered life. Her entire childhood has been spent at Tabula Rasa School where she’s been protected from the Internet. Blanca has never been online and doesn’t even know how to text. Her lack of a virtual footprint has made her extremely valuable and upon graduation Blanca, and those like her, are sold to the highest bidders. Blanca is purchased by Cal McNeal, who uses her to achieve personal gain. But the McNeal’s are soon horrified by just how obedient and non-defiant Blanca is. All those mind-numbing years locked away from society have made her mind almost impenetrable. By the time Blanca is ready to think for herself, she is trapped. Her only chance of escape is to go online.Giveaway:
- 1 Pre-Order or Finished Copy of Any Debut Novel Featured on Meet the Newbies
- International (as long as The Book Depository ships to your country)
Meet the Newbies is a blog event dedicated to introducing you to the “newbie” published debut authors. In this event, expect to learn more about the authors, their books, and silly fun facts! Check out the full Meet the Newbies lineup here.