I recently did a post called 8 Reasons I Visit Your Blog, so I thought I’d do a little opposing post to talk about the things that make me not want to visit your blog (or not return once I have visited).
These are my own personal reasons, and may not reflect the masses. Thanks to Meg Ryan for helping me illustrate.
1.Automated music or sound effects. I seriously hate this. Most of the time, I won’t realize my volume is turned way up, and I open a blog and *BAM* I’m blasted with some random music or other noise, and I basically pee my pants and click on five hundred things in my frantic attempt to close the window. If you have this, I will not be returning (sorry)!
2. You’re a jerk. Listen, I’m all about the snark. One of my favorite book blogs is Cuddlebuggery.com, and Steph, Kat & Meg have perfected the snarkasm. I’m talking about just flat out being a tool.
If you spend your time looking for reasons to jump down anyone and everyone’s throat, or you’re just waiting on people to screw up or say the wrong thing, I just don’t even have time for that. See ya (not sorry)!
3. Your blog is too cluttered. I get that everyone has different tastes, and this is totally a personality thing, but my brain just can’t handle five thousand and seven different colors and patterns happening at the same time. It makes me stabby.
4. You misspell a ton of words on a regular basis, or your grammar is terrible. I’m not overly picky about this (I don’t think).
I mean, I don’t keep my posts completely proper, and everyone makes mistakes (I probably have in this post (like possibly using too many parenthesis (but at least I said “too many” and not “to many.”))), but if your post is filled with mistakes, it just looks like you didn’t care enough to even use spell-check.
5. Your posts are almost all made up of memes or blog tours. Again, this is personal preference, but I’m just not interested in reading those types of things over and over.
I’d rather read a blog that only posted once a week with something original than one that posts daily memes or tours etc. I’m just like, “Hello? Is this it??”
6. All your sidebar pics or ads are hanging off your sidebar. Ok, I know I’m being nit-picky here, but when you do that, it just …
7. You are entirely too loquacious or sesquipedalian. If your blog is replete with a copious magnitude of superfluous, discursive ruminations, then I am inclined to expeditiously dematerialize, never to return.
8. Your posts are all geared toward your blogging friends. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s awesome that bloggers have made such good friends (I know I have), and they all visit each other’s blogs, and know all the inside jokes.
But if I’m not part of it, I don’t get it, and it just makes me feel left out. I’m not saying you shouldn’t, I’m just saying I probably won’t be sticking around.
These are just a few of my pet peeves when it comes to blogs (they might be a tad exaggerated), and just because something bugs me doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone or even most people.
What are the things that keep you from returning to a blog? I hope it’s not excessive gif usage, or I may be in trouble . . .
P.S. All these gifs, pics, and videos are from French Kiss, which is an older movie, but so cute, and so completely quotable! You should check it out!